A client once told me that she was amazed at some changes that happened in her life as she began to work with me. I joked with her, ” What did you think would happen??! I’m a magical mystical unicorn creature. Embrace the Magic.”
I was very much joking at the time. Sometimes people will marvel at other people’s abilities and just feel they are lucky. I love the quote by Jim Rohn on this.
I recently talked with someone who started their own practice after working in another office for years. We were at a function and we were just casually chatting over tea. I enthusiastically affirmed her choice to begin on her own and asked her what the start up process was like after all these years. She replied, “well, I’ve just been VISUALIZING really strongly. Because I just want to ATTRACT people organically. I do not want to push this.” I felt concerned immediately. Please know that I am PollyannaPam. I know that a positive outlook has been researched to offer increased marital satisfaction, better physical health and increased income. So Yes! Yes! Yes! I am all in on visualization and being positive.
There is more to Visualizing than than just… visualizing.
But Positive Thinking is NOT a substitute for Consistent Positive Action. And Positive Thinking is no match for Unrealistic Expectations. It is important for us to discern when we are Magical thinking vs Positive thinking.
- Example of Magical Thinking is: I love flowers so I will visualize garden beds in my yard and in the spring they will be there.
- Example of Unrealistic Expectations: I love flowers so I believe they will grow in the harsh Massachusetts winters.
- Example of Positive Thinking: I love flowers and am confident in my ability to learn to grow great gardens by paying attention to the laws of nature and applying wisdom from those who know how to grow things.
Know that your super powers involve: Positive thinking + Consistent Positive Action + a Powerful Product (your amazing chiropractic care, in case you forgot!)
- Examples of Super Powers in Action: I love flowers and am honored to be healthy enough to work at growing beautiful gardens. I will be excited to develop myself and my knowledge every day to learn to plant, fertilize and create beauty for many people in the coming years.
Our “gardening” in our chiropractic practices involves strategically learning to attract people who need and want what we offer, learning to communicate what we do with certainty, to explore ways to get people to engage, to sustain supportive teams and to create lifetime raving fans.
These may not come instantly. We may need to tweak with ways to “fertilize” our growth, consult with the experts and pour over online trainings to nurture our best self. Our “gardens” can be in a constant state of evolution as we dig deeper to bring our best to the world. As with gardening, there are unexpected surprises such as – beetle frolics, deer frat parties, wild turkey binges, bugs, droughts and rainy seasons and well, locusts. We must be prepared with plan Bs, respond with a fresh attitude and a spirit of determination.
In the Meantime…Feel the Bloom,
Here are some tips and tricks I use to manage my inner world:
1. This is a scale that Abraham Hicks teaches.
The recommendation is that instead of trying to shame, bully your way to the BEST state, try just going one up from where you are and then one more as you are able.
2. My favorite new attitude adjusters come in the form of contemplation/meditations. This is something I commit to daily.
Here is a sample from one of my teachers: